Macintosh versus PC

I am typing this on my new iPad which I love, love, love. My life is simply better with it. I could go into details but that would inevitably make me sound like a Mac cult member and as I in fact am, why push it even more. Among the joys of the iPad, I will mention here only one: I have a number of art books loaded on it and the pictures could not be more beautiful.

Last summer I switched back to Mac after five years on PC. The transition was not easy. In fact, Macs were so different that I had to learn an entirely new system, as well as iWork over Microsoft Word. I had to get accustomed to double saving documents so that my Pages documents could be emailed as .doc or my Presentation could be PowerPoint. Despite these nuisances, I love the MacBook. I even convinced a friend to get one.

All designers use them because their design capabilities are unbeatable. Their speed, their graphics make working on them in Photoshop or other such programs so much more pleasant. But why would I get one if I am not doing that?

Because they are beautiful. Because even words look better on the screen and though this is not imperative to words functionality, it is a bonus if you look at a screen all day, and much of the night. In the last couple years the Macs have become much more adept at transferring documents with PCs so that the pain that PC users used to feel in having to interact with them is gone, if the Mac user is Mac savvy.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, all the words are worth the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment