Cherry Blossoms

I know it is Spring when I see cherry blossoms. I was travelling to Vancouver when I saw the first ones and took a picture to savour. I arrived back in New York City and a tree outside a church was in full bloom. So was another tree and thus, despite the tremendous quantities of rain, I am happy that it is Spring! Their brief bloom makes them all the more special, with the reminder that Spring in New York is a very short season that launches us quickly into summer.
Growing up, I enjoyed the cherry blossom festival in Washington DC but have not been in years. The cherry blossom tree is the national tree of Japan. The festival was nearly a month ago this year, and I missed again the celebration commemorating the gift of 3000 cherry trees from the Mayor of Tokyo to Washington DC in 1912. They were planted around the Tidal Basin where they flower and shower pink petals through the breeze, a veritable wonderland. In return, in 1915 a gift of dogwood trees was shipped to Tokyo. In 1965, Lady Bird Johnson received 3800 more trees. After a major flood in 1981, cuttings from these trees were sent to horticulturists in order to replace the loss. Now the festival lasts two weeks, with daily activities for school children, tourists and random general interest. A few years ago the Smithsonian produced an album of music, featuring traditional Japanese music, classical instruments and choral ensembles.
Hokusai, Mount Fuji seen through cherry blossoms
Cherry trees are also a popular tattoo. Though I have no desire to be tattooed, I do see the beauty in many of the designs. I found the image below of a torso tattoo, which I share here because not only is the tattoo well done but the photo-collage illuminates the tattoo so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment