bad news calls for Ugly Babies!

I laugh more than I ever have these days at what a mess we've made are making of things. It was in such a mood today that I had a conversation with an artist working on a painting of an 8 foot baby (it's hysterical) and a friend who was wondering why her genitalia made some assume she wanted to talk about babies (it's horribly true), and so that must have been in the back of my mind when searching for something to make me laugh this afternoon, I went to ...

I first discovered this in grad school years ago but ah, how it makes me laugh. Of course, having been introduced to the concept, I have ever since wandered great cathedrals of art snickering and snapping pics of the ugly Renaissance (and yes, other periods...it's definitely not only Renaissance for you sticklers out there) babies that I find. It's so wonderful that great artists made such hideous mini-peeps and that random and unknown artists decided they had better things to do then get the baby right. Contrary to the bar's claim in Williamsburg, Baby's (not) All Right.

I could now wander along New Aesthetics and the impact of digital visualizations IRL... I've been there, it's fascinating, but not for today. Today, go look at ugly renaissance babies, or your "friend"'s recent posts of their spawn on social media (anyone else actually considered not following someone because you just acn't handle how unattractive their child(ren) is? No? Oh okay). Or, for something easier to share with those near and dear...Ugly Renaissance Cats.

I guess the lesson of the day is the world has been ugly for a few centuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment